Pesticides and Poisonous Plants

Pesticides and chemicals used to control fungi, insects, and weeds pose a serious threat to a child's life. Safe handling of pesticides and chemicals is required and there are a number of precautions parents and caregivers should consider:

    * pesticides and chemicals should be stored up and out of harm's way.
    * DO NOT mix or hande pesticides around children.
    * DO NOT make pesticide solutions a little stronger for good measure as toomuch can cause injury to humans if absorbed into the skin
    * do not use kitchen measuring, stirring or storing utensils
    * make sure that no food products are eaten from plants treated with pesticides until after the appropriate days have passed
    * keep children and pets away from treated aras for at least twenty four (24) hours to prevent them from coming in contact with the pesticides
    * protect children from absorbing any chemicals into their skin by keeping them fully clothed when playing on treated areas
    * wash your skin and clothing thoroughly after using pesticides and chemicals
    * use alternatives to pesticides whenever possible

Poisonous Plants

Many annual and perennial plants commonly found in the garden are harmful to humans if ingested. Youngsters should be taught not to eat unfamiliar plants. Even a small amount of toxic plant substance can cause serious injury to a small child.

    * Aconitum (monkshood) - all parts
    * Bleeding heart - leaves and roots
    * Castor bean - seeds
    * Delphinium (larkspur) - young plants and seeds
    * Digitalis (fox glove) - all parts
    * Iris
    * Lathyrus (sweet pea) - seeds
    * Lily of the Valley - all parts
    * Nicotiana (tobacco) - all parts
    * Rhubarb - leaf blades


    * Colchicum - bulb
    * Hyacinth - bulb
    * Narcissus (daffodil) - all parts
    * Scilla - all parts
    * Snow Drop - all parts
    * Tulip

Should a child ingest a pesticide/chemical or eat part of a poisonous plant contact your local Poison Control Centre for help and information. In any home/facility where there are children the number for the Poison Control Centre should always be posted by the telephone.